Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access

Alvaro Herrera writes:

How large is the database?  I must admit I have never seen a database
that took 4 days to vacuum.  This could mean that your database is
humongous, or that the vacuum strategy is wrong for some reason.

Specially with 16GB of RAM.

I have a setup with several databases (the largest of which is 1TB database) and I do a nightly vacuum analyze for ALL databases. It takes about 22 hours. And this is with constant updates to the large 1TB database. This is with Postgresql 8.1.3