Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access

Francisco Reyes wrote:
Alvaro Herrera writes:

How large is the database?  I must admit I have never seen a database
that took 4 days to vacuum.  This could mean that your database is
humongous, or that the vacuum strategy is wrong for some reason.

Specially with 16GB of RAM.

I have a setup with several databases (the largest of which is 1TB database) and I do a nightly vacuum analyze for ALL databases. It takes about 22 hours. And this is with constant updates to the large 1TB database. This is with Postgresql 8.1.3

Okay - I started a VACUUM with the 8.1 database yesterday morning, having the database remain under load. As of 12:30 today (~27 hours), the original VACUUM was still running. At that point:

(a) I had to shut it down anyway because I needed to do another experiment having to do with database export/import performance, and (b) the performance of individual queries had already degraded significantly in the same manner as what I'd seen before.

So, I guess this means that there's no way I can keep the database adequately vacuumed with my anticipated load and hardware. One thing or the other will have to change.

Is the VACUUM in 8.2 significantly faster than the one in 8.1? Or, is the database less sensitive performance-wise to delayed VACUUM commands?

Karl