Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?

Scott Marlowe wrote:
OTOH, there are some things, like importing data, which are MUCH faster in pgsql than in the big database.

An excellent point, I forgot about this. The COPY command is the best thing since the invention of a shirt pocket.  We have a database-per-customer design, and one of the mosterous advantages of Postgres is that we can easily do backups.  A pg_dump, then scp to a backup server, and in just a minute or two we have a full backup.  For recovery, pg_restore is equally fast and amazing.  Last time I checked, Oracle didn't have anything close to this.

Craig