Re: Areca 1260 Performance

At 03:37 AM 12/7/2006, Brian Wipf wrote:
On 6-Dec-06, at 5:26 PM, Ron wrote:

All this stuff is so leading edge that it is far from clear what
the RW performance of DBMS based on these components will be
without extensive testing of =your= app under =your= workload.
I want the best performance for the dollar, so I can't rule anything
out. Right now I'm leaning towards Kentsfield, but I will do some
more research before I make a decision. We probably won't wait much
past January though.
Kentsfield's outrageously high pricing and operating costs (power and cooling) are not likely to make it the cost/performance winner.

OTOH,
1= ATM it is the way to throw the most cache per socket at a DBMS within the Core2 CPU line (Tulsa has even more at 16MB per CPU). 2= SSSE3 and other Core2 optimizations have led to some impressive performance numbers- unless raw clock rate is the thing that can help you the most.

If what you need for highest performance is the absolute highest clock rate or most cache per core, then bench some Intel Tulsa's.

Apps with memory footprints too large for on die or in socket caches or that require extreme memory subsystem performance are still best served by AMD CPUs.

If you are getting the impression that it is presently complicated deciding which CPU is best for any specific pg app, then I am making the impression I intend to.

One thing that is clear from what you've posted thus far is that
you are going to needmore HDs if you want to have any chance of
fully utilizing your Areca HW.
Do you know off hand where I might find a chassis that can fit 24[+]
drives? The last chassis we ordered was through Supermicro, and the
largest they carry fits 16 drives.
www.pogolinux.com has 24 and 48 bay 3.5" HD chassis'; and a 64 bay 2.5" chassis. Tell them I sent you.

www.impediment.com are folks I trust regarding all things storage (and RAM). Again, tell them I sent you.

www.aberdeeninc.com is also a vendor I've had luck with, but try Pogo and Impediment first.