Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
This is also wrong. fsck is needed because the file system is broken.
nope, the file system *may* be broken. the dirty flag simply indicates
that the filesystem needs to be checked to find out whether or not it is
broken.

Ah, but if we knew it wasn't broken, then fsck wouldn't be needed, now
would it? So we assume that it is broken. A little bit of a game, but
it is important to me. If I assumed the file system was not broken, I
wouldn't run fsck. I run fsck, because I assume it may be broken. If
broken, it indicates potential corruption.

note tha the ext3, reiserfs, jfs, and xfs developers (at least) consider fsck nessasary even for journaling fileysstems. they just let you get away without it being mandatory after a unclean shutdown.

David Lang