Re: performance issue with a specific query

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Enterprises are not going to compile. They are going to accept the
>> latest support by vendor release.
>>
>> Redhat has a tendency to  be incredibly stupid about this particular
>> area of their packaging.

> Stupid how?

Red Hat feels (apparently accurately, judging by their subscription
revenue ;-)) that what RHEL customers want is a platform that's stable
over multi-year application lifespans.  So major incompatible changes in
the system software are not looked on with favor.  That's why RHEL4
is still shipping PG 7.4.*.  You can call it a stupid policy if you
like, but it's hard to argue with success.

However, there will be an RH-supported release of PG 8.1.* as an optional
add-on for RHEL4.  Real Soon Now, I hope --- the release date has been
pushed back a couple times already.

			regards, tom lane