Re: Savepoint performance

Mark Lewis wrote:

> So my question is, how expensive is setting a savepoint in PG?  If it's
> not too expensive, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to add a config
> parameter to psql or other client interfaces (thinking specifically of
> jdbc here) to do it automatically.  Doing so would make it a little
> easier to work with PG in a multi-db environment.

It is moderately expensive.  It's cheaper than starting/committing a
transaction, but certainly much more expensive than not setting a
savepoint.

In psql you can do what you want using \set ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK on.  This
is clearly a client-only issue, so the server does not provide any
special support for it (just like autocommit mode).