Re: Upgrade Rhel7.9 to Rhel9.3

On 3/6/24 14:49, garyorban@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Appreciate the help. The person who performed the original upgrades
in no longer with us. I believe they used an RPM for that install .

I was able to get postgres 12 to start on rhel 9.3 with the following
tweaks.

Copied over libcrypto, libssl , libreadline and libtinfo  from
another  rhel 7 server. Also needed symlinks for libicuil8n and
libicuuc .

I was able to access the DB and perform simple queries . Do you think
this approach will work, as I'm a bit leery . If not what do you
think would be a better option?

Yeah, it can be done like that but it sounds a bit sketchy and would make me nervous.

I would recommend installing the rhel9  binaries from RPMs instead.
See https://yum.postgresql.org/ for the Postgres community curated repo, for example.

As long as the rhel9 new binaries are the same architecture (e.g. x86_64) and major version (e.g. 12.18), they should "just work" with your existing data directory.

Although that said, as I mentioned in my first response, indexes built on collatable columns most likely need to be rebuilt due to the newer version of glibc on the rhel9 system. The rebuilds should be done *before* allowing any "writes" (inserts or updates) to the new instance. Other potential collation issues as illustrated in the presentation I linked should also be considered, e.g. partition keys.

Overall, it sounds to me like you should get a consulting/support company to help you with this. See: https://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/

Hope this helps,

--
Joe Conway