Instrumenting stale replication slots

Hi admins,

We are looking to regularly create `inactive` logical replication slots under test conditions so that we can demonstrate that applying Debezium's heartbeat feature reliably remediates the condition and prevents stale WALs from accumulating.

Published material from RedHat states that by advancing the LSN on the primary with updates that are not captured by the Replica Set configured to use the slot in question will induce the state, but we have not yet been able to show this, even with thousands of updates that are filtered from the Logical Slot.

Does anyone have any advice around mechanically inducing the `inactive` Logical Replica slot state?

Thanks,
Joe