timezone Q for postgresql v814

Hi,

We have SLES set up to use UTC-4 right now, EDT. When we do a restore, we have to set the time 1 hour earlier than we really want the restore time to be. This is because we have a theory that something isn't defined quite right. We think postgres is using UTC-5 for some reason. We don't have timezone defined in the conf file, but we thought it would use the default, UTC-4. Has anyone experienced this or know if the solution is to set timezone to America/New_York as the timezone variable in the conf file to get them both using UTC-4, EDT? Is this a problem we'll experience in the summer since we're using the daylight savings time specification?

Thanks,
~DjK