Re: Fwd: Other architectures we can work on?

Hi Akira,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information! I will try to deploy the
verification tools (litmus and herd) next week and let you know if
they work.

The PPC server has 8 cores and is currently running Ubuntu 16.04,
which I'm familiar with. Would that be OK? Or do you have any other
suggestions?

BTW, I have successfully applied an ARMv8 server with 96 cores from
packet.com. Since I'm very interested in how non-blocking algorithms
perform on real hardware, I will try to deploy the sample code in
perfbook on all three platforms to see how they work. One interesting
thing I noticed after a quick check is that, for ARMv8, primitive FAA
(__atomic_fetch_add) is performed by using a retry loop that employs
LL/SC, and hence it could lead to a performance degradation (roughly,
10x slower when 30 cores perform FAA concurrently). I will post these
finds in the list later :-)

Thanks,
--Junchang

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 7:47 AM Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2018/10/04 08:32:23 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > Hello, Junchang,
> >
> > Glad it worked out for you!
> >
> > Note that the DIY toolset (http://diy.inria.fr/) has things that
> > automatically exercise litmus tests on real hardware.  See the
> > CodeSamples/formal directory in the perfbook archive, and especially
> > its herd and litmus subdirectories, for some example uses.
> > (And kudos to Akira for setting this up!)
>
> Hi Junchang,
>
> At the time I worked in those subdirectories, "ocaml" 4.02.3 for
> powerpc was not capable of natively building DIY toolset.
>
> Current version of ocaml can build the toolset, which means
> you can test litmus tests without cross compiling on powerpc.
>
> But the default target of Makefile under the "litmus" subdirectory
> assumes x86 architecture. For powerpc, you need to use the target
> "cross-pcc" even if you are on a powerpc platform.
>
> One thing I'd like to advise you is that klitmus7 can generate
> kernel module sources which can deadlock. Such deadlock can be
> hard to escape on a remote virtual machine.
>
> herd7 doesn't detect deadlock condition. litmus7 runs litmus tests
> in userland, and it is easier to kill if deadlock happens. litmus7
> is much slower than klitmus7, but it can help in identifying
> possible deadlocks.
>
> Or by running a particular litmus test by klitmus7 on a host
> which can be easily reset if necessary, you can see if it can
> deadlock.
>
> NOTE: api.h in the subdirectory "litmus" predates the merge of
> tools/memoroy-model into Linux kernel, and covers limited subset
> of kernel API used there.
>
> Just out of curiosity, which distribution did you choose for
> your powerpc server?
>
>         Thanks, Akira
>

> >                                               Thanx, Paul
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 11:01:00PM +0800, Junchang Wang wrote:
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot! OSU has approved my application and provisioned a PPC
> >> server for me. Now I can start testing code on PPC :-). For the ARM
> >> server, the application is still in progress. I'll let you know if
> >> there are any updates.
> >>

> >> Thank!
> >> --JunchangOn Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 1:51 AM Paul E. McKenney

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]