Re: Some questions

On 2016/04/27 16:28:07 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 08:01:31AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
[snip.

>>> The blank cells represent cache misses.  The CPU is waiting for a read
>>> to complete during that time.  A non-blank cell corresponds to a CPU
>>> actually completing a read.
>>
>> Oh, I see. But this should be explained in the text, I think.
>
> Good point!  I also added several other possibilities, including
> interrupts and preemption.

So, I have a few questions regarding to the added explanation of blank cells.

According to the text, trace data used to create the table are said to be
obtained by a program that contains the code fragment shown in Figure 14.4.
The loop in the code fragment will exit once it sees state.variable != mycpu.
That means the actual program you used has an outer loop to record the
changes of state.valuable for each cpu in the system, I suppose.
Am I guessing right?

If I am, (n)'s in the table denoting modification of variables must be
entries in the trace data which were output from the outer loop, I think.

However, in the table, there are a number of cases where (n)'s are followed
by blanks just below itself. Does this mean fetched state.variables stay in
the cache very briefly, but are (almost immediately) invalidated by a cache
coherence mechanism? I can see interrupts and preemption would also cause the
trace output to be suspended for a while.

I'm not sure I have made out what the table means thus far, but am I seeing
something close enough to what you intend the table to represent?

                                                     Thanks, Akira