Re: Some questions

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 07:15:05AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/04/27 09:53:57 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 12:21:48AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >> However, the newly added Table 14.2 "A Variable With More Simultaneous Values"
> >> seems like it is not complete yet.  Is that the case?
> >
> > Please see attached for what it looks like to me.
>
> Well, this is identical to the one I built.
> So, do you intend to explicitly put numbers which show up fairly long time, and
> leave other cells blank even below changes of values denoted by (n) in italics?

The blank cells represent cache misses.  The CPU is waiting for a read
to complete during that time.  A non-blank cell corresponds to a CPU
actually completing a read.

> >> Looks like you used some custom script or something to generate the table
> >> from a raw data that contains when each cpu sees the updates.
> >>
> >> Do you have a plan to replace the Table with a Figure something like
> >> Figure 14.5 "A Variable With Multiple Simultaneous Values"?
> >
> > I briefly considered coloring the table cells, but got distracted.
>
> That kind of work would be made easy if you make a script or something to
> generate the latex source of the table. The problem is the script itself
> might take time to make it work properly. I could be of help in that area.

I probably do have something somewhere...  No guarantees of finding it...

> > I am not sure that making a 14.5-like barchart would be all that
> > readable...  But please feel free to prove me wrong.
>
> There would be a number of very narrow bars hard to recognize.
> It would also be impossible to see there are fourteen different opinions
> at time 20. Yes, a table seems a better way to represent this.

Not sure that there is a really good way to represent this, but again,
please feel free to prove me wrong!  A nicer representation would be a
very good thing.

							Thanx, Paul