Reposted: RHL9 NIS+ client to Solaris server?

Hi,

I'm a newbie to RHL, but an experienced Solaris/HP-UX admin. I'm trying to get a RHL 9.0 machine hooked up as a NIS+ (nisplus) client to a Solaris NIS+ domain. It seems to support NIS, but not NIS+, so I went to http://www.linux-nis.org, and downloaded the nis-utils and pam_unix2 packages. I did not update the glibc library.

Everything seems to have worked. Nisinit successfully created a NIS_COLD_START file, I can do a niscat passwd.org_dir and see the NIS+ password info, same for hosts.org_dir etc. I can "su -" from root to a NIS+ user, and get the correct environment.

The problem is, I can't authenticate as a NIS+ user (one that isn't present in the local files). I can login if I add a local user, but if I try to login as a NIS+ user, I get "access denied" at my SSH login, and wrong password errors when I try to login to the KDE/Gnome environment.

Here's my nsswitch.conf:

passwd:     files nisplus
shadow:     files nisplus
group:      files nisplus

hosts: files nisplus dns

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files nisplus
rpc:        files
services:   files nisplus

netgroup: files nisplus

publickey: nisplus

automount:  files nisplus
aliases:    files nisplus

I suspect my problem lies with PAM modules or PAM config, but I'm not familiar with PAM at all. The PAM files in /etc/pam.d are all default, so I tried messing with /etc/pam.d/login and rlogin, adding the pam_unix2 module as suggested in the NIS How-To, but I really don't know what I'm doing there, and nothing I did seemed to make any difference.

Could someone point me in the right direction for this?

(BTW, I posted this to the shrike-list, but the more I dig into it, the more I think it is a PAM issue, so I'm reposting it to the pam-list.)

-TIA,
-Tom

Tom Haws               Manager, Systems Administration
trh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Tel: (250) 562-2628    1579 9th Ave, Prince George, B.C. Canada V2L 3R8
Fax: (250) 562-6942    http://www.timberline.ca