Which pam config file are used by programs that translate uid's to usernames?

Hello people,

I'm trying to find out which pam configuration files is used by programs
such as 'ls', which translate uid's/group id's to user/group names.

My problem is the following: I'm using pam_ldap to authenticate Linux
users against a Microsoft Active Directory. The LDAP traffic is tunneled
by stunnel to the AD. When the Active Directory is unavailable, various
commands exit with 'Broken pipe'.

This seems to be caused when converting uid's to user names. When for
example a directory listing contains only files owned by root (which is a
local user) the command succeeds, but when it has to lookup LDAP users, it
fails.

The other strange thing is when I'm logging in as root. Logging in over
SSH poses no problems, logging in at the console just gives the login
prompt back.

Therefore I'm trying to find out which pam config files I need to edit to
prevent these problems. At least login should be modified, but which
config files are used by ls for example?

Kind regards,
Marco Teeuwen