Security-related question about mod_auth_pam and shadow passwords

Hi,

my (test) system (Debian) is using shadow passwords and /etc/shadow belongs to
a group called "shadow". I have installed mod_auth_pam but authentication
fails because Apache 2.x is not able to read that file. Therefore I started
my Apache using the "shadow" group, but this is not very good because of
security reasons (a simple perl script could list my /etc/shadow in
cleartext!).

Is there any other way of enabling mod_auth_pam without using the local group
"shadow" or creating a new group which is only able to read /etc/shadow
(which will cause the same problems than using the "real" shadow group)?

Bye and thanks,
Werner.