Re: mod_auth_pam, password fields, and typing too fast!

On Thu, 22 May 2003 ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 03:04:40PM +0000, ahoward wrote:
> > i'm guessing this may have something to do with grabbing chars from the
> > textbox and echo'ing them with '*' and the non-portable methods used to do
> > that, but this sounds absolutely crazy even as i'm writing it!
>
> Well, that part of the authentication is entirely up to the browser.
> The server, and therefore mod_auth_pam, only sees the password (in its
> entirety) once it is sent by the browser.  So, to the server it
> doesn't make a difference wether you type fast or not, it doesn't have
> anything to do with processing user input.

yeah.  i realize that - i'm just wondering if others have seen this (saw a few
unexplained posts regarding 'perfect username password and still auth
failure', etc.  and wondered if people had tried typing S-L-O-W-L-Y because,
as dumb as that sounds - it's works on many of our systems...  obviously if
this *is* the source of the problem the password is arriving at the server in
mangled form.

this whole thing just sounds impossible, but hey..

i'd like to see if i could confirm that the password arrives mangled but
apache is hard to strace since there are many processes - which one would get
the request?  do you simply strace them all?  any thought on this?

> Unless I'm mistaken, you should report a bug to the browser
> developers.

if i determine that it *is* a bug - i will.  at this point am remain
unconvinced - but no other explaination has surfaced.

-a
--