Re: mod_auth_pam, password fields, and typing too fast!

On Thu, 22 May 2003, ahoward wrote:

> yeah.  i realize that - i'm just wondering if others have seen this (saw a few
> unexplained posts regarding 'perfect username password and still auth
> failure', etc.  and wondered if people had tried typing S-L-O-W-L-Y because,
> as dumb as that sounds - it's works on many of our systems...  obviously if
> this *is* the source of the problem the password is arriving at the server in
> mangled form.
>
> this whole thing just sounds impossible, but hey..
>
> i'd like to see if i could confirm that the password arrives mangled but
> apache is hard to strace since there are many processes - which one would get
> the request?  do you simply strace them all?  any thought on this?

You don't strace anything. You want to know the input to mod_auth_pam so
you recompile it to add debuging output to some location.

The problem wont be with Apache though as others have explained to you
apache has no direct interface with the user whatsoever. Your browser
would be the point of failure if what you describe is true.

If you want, you could strace the browser process on your client system.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/	 	   professional hosting and colocation