pam_ldap timeout problem

Hi All!

Last weekend the computer on which my LDAP server runs
crashed, and it became impossible to login on any other Linux
system in the network, even with a local (root) account.

My network contains two physically different LDAP servers,
and when I bring down the ldap-software on one server, the rest
of the computers in the network immediately start using the other
ldap-server, because TCP/IP (on the first server) denies the connection
made to the LDAP-port.

However, when I turn off the first LDAP server's computer, TCP/IP
is no longer able to deny an attempt to make a connection to the LDAP port,
and I suspect the pam_ldap module (on a random client PC) to start waiting
for ages before it eventually moves to the second server (it does move,
but really, it takes very long, and I suspect these delays to accumulate).

Does anybody know if what I suspect is right, does the pam_ldap module
wait very long when a connection-attempt is not immediately denied?
And, if so, does anybody know a remedy?

Many thanks in advance!

Maarten Buiter

PS: this is my /etc/pam.d/system-auth, my pam.conf follows:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore service_err=ignore system_err=ignore] /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

password required /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password required /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

And this is my /etc/ldap.conf

# Our two LDAP-Servers, now located on beer and duvel
host ldap1.ourdomain.com ldap2.ourdomain.com

# The (base) distinguished name of the search tree
base dc=ourdomain,dc=com

# rootbinddn
# the name of the person who is allowed to modify
# the LDAP-database, for example change other people's
# passwords
# It's corresponding password is given in /etc/ldap.secret
rootbinddn cn=justaname,dc=ourdomain,dc=com

# Where do we search
scope sub

# The hashing algorythm libc uses to encrypt passwords
# Normally this defaults to MD5 hashing
pam_password crypt

# The used ID attribute in the database the authentication
# module looks for.
pam_login_attribute name:

# Use TLS security
ssl start_tls