mod_auth_pam problems

I am trying to get mod_auth_pam v1.1.1 to run on Apache 1.3.27 and
RedHat 8.0 and having a few problems.

I got the module to compile and finally got it so it works, sort of.

The first problem is that I am trying to grant and deny access to
directories using system groups and it doesn't seem to work. It is
allowing _any_ authenticated user in.

The second problem is that I want to have it use the Apache passwd
and group files if the user is not in the system files. This doesn't
seem to work at all.

The relevant section of my httpd.conf file looks like this:

<Directory /home/public/col>
   ## turn on auth_pam
   AuthPAM_Enabled on
   ## turn on fall through
   AuthPAM_FallThrough on
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "elmo.ibsys.com"
   AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/User_File
   AuthGroupFile /usr/local/apache/Group_File
   require group col
</Directory>

My /etc/pam.d/httpd file looks like this:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required      /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required      /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

There is a 'col' group in the /etc/group file with one user in it.
However I can authenticate and get into the directory as any user in
the /etc/passwd file.

I also have a user in the Apache user and group files that does not exist
as a system user and they can not authenticate at all.

Suggestions?
--
Timothy W. Foreman   ~   System Administrator   ~   tforeman@xxxxxxxxx
Internet Broadcasting Systems ~ (651) 365-4181 ~ http://www.ibsys.com/