Re: IP address of remote host

On 1 Apr 2003, Stefan Voelkel wrote:

> >    I've been trying to write a PAM module that checks users against
> > the list of users currently logged on to Samba, and I can't find any
> > good way of getting the IP address of the host they are loggin in from
> > - PAM_RHOST returns the hostname rather than an IP address.
> >    Is there a PAM_ITEM or anything with the IP address in?
>
> I am interested in this too, since I want to write a one time password
> pam module, that will only work from some ip addresses.
>
> The idea is to allow users logging in from the lan to use their standard
> password and force those coming from the wan to use otp's

PAM_RHOST is the correct item however the data it contains is subject to
the application rather than PAM.

When dealing with this here (with Apache and mod_auth_pam) I simply
patched to mod_auth_pam to supply the IP address rather than host name.

The problem stems from the fact that both are valid data for PAM_RHOST.

I think you could use the pam_rhosts_auth.so module for this with the
/etc/hosts.equiv file however that feels really kludgy to me and would
probably lead to confusion.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now