Re: Pam and chrooted bind9 zone transfer problem

Solar Designer wrote:

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:37:48PM -0500, Lia Treffman wrote:

Hi,

I'm pretty new to linux (saw my first linux box last November). I have set up master and slave DNS servers which have bind9 chrooted into a directory called "named" owned by user "named."

This is not PAM-related (and I'm unsure if your problem is), but
making the new fs root directory owned by a non-root user is a
security hole. You don't buy any security by setting up a chroot jail
like that, but rather you introduce a named -> root security hole.

If a library would refuse to work in such a setup, I'd view that as an
advantage.

I have used PAM to disallow ssh or su -> root. This is why I think it may be PAM related.

Thanks,
Lia