Re: Pam and chrooted bind9 zone transfer problem

Hi Lia,

<snip>

>I have used PAM to disallow ssh or su -> root.   This is why I think it
>may be PAM related.
>
>Thanks,
>Lia

Disallowing su to root sounds a little bit backwards. For security, I've
chosen a different path. Emptied /etc/securetty and made the admin user a
member of the wheel goup. Edited /pam.d/su so only a member of the wheel
group can su root, and that user is trusted implicitly. Now there are no
root logins (either remote or on console) and there is no need for anyone
who might ever need root access to know the root password. This is all
just SOP for security.