RE: solaris md5 password authentication

 |________________________________________
 |\|Jerry Bonner <Jerry.Bonner@cpinternet.com> ha scrit als Tue, 25 Feb
 | 2003 16:05:55 -0600:
[...]
 | |
 | |here's what I'm trying to do, I'm not sure if it will work the way
 | | that I might want but here goes : I need to migrate users account
 | | from a redhat
 | |would like for them to be able to keep their passwords intact since I
 | | have to migrate *alot* of users. Sooo, I'm hoping that I can copy
 | | the passwords from the redhat box (MD5 encrypted I believe) to the
 | | Solaris box (which uses
 | |DES I believe, I'm not too familiar with Solaris) and have the
 | | Solaris machine be able to understand the md5 passwords as well as
 | | native solaris ones
 | |[...]
 | |
 | |Jerry Bonner

Perhaps authenticating the users that log in with MD5 on the Linux machine
and at same time storing their passwd in DES in a copy of /etc/passwd ?
And after some time, you'll have (at least) most passwds also in DES -
except the users, who didn't login 'till that time.

As I know, you don't have to alter the pam_unix module for that. You can
easily use the stacking feature of pam and write your ovn module taking
the passwd and store it in the other file.
I think, you can copy most of the code from the pam_unix module... I think
you should take some code of the pam_unix password management (passwd
changing) section and use it in the new modules auth section (for writing
the (DES) passwd to a file).

Then you can use you module and specify the use_firstpass (or
try_firstpass) argument to your module.

cf.:
--- http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam-4.html ---
[...]
 use_first_pass

The module should not prompt the user for a password. Instead, it should
obtain the previously typed password (from the preceding auth module),
and use that. If that doesn't work, then the user will not be
authenticated. (This option is intended for auth and password modules
only).
[...]
--------

Did you understand what I mean?
It is just a thought...
(It would be less heavy to implement than porting the pam_unix module to
Solaris)
Maybe I'm fully false...

And have you checked out the other lists etc. handling that problem?
gooooogle is your friend ;-)

_______
Florian Verdet