From: Florian Verdet [mailto:florian.verdet@unifr.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 16:43 PM
To: pam-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: solaris md5 password authentication

Hi Jerry,
Hi listreaders,
\|Jerry Bonner <Jerry.Bonner@cpinternet.com> ha scrit als Tue, 25 Feb 2003
16:05:55 -0600:
 |this is my first post to this list, I'll start off by saying I'm glad to
 |have found it, being that it looks more active than some other resources I
 |have found.
 |
 |here's what I'm trying to do, I'm not sure if it will work the way that I
 |might want but here goes : I need to migrate users account from a redhat
box
 |to a Solaris box ( I realize this should be the other way around...), but
 |would like for them to be able to keep their passwords intact since I have
 |to migrate *alot* of users. Sooo, I'm hoping that I can copy the passwords
 |from the redhat box (MD5 encrypted I believe) to the Solaris box (which
uses
 |DES I believe, I'm not too familiar with Solaris) and have the Solaris
 |machine be able to understand the md5 passwords as well as native solaris
 |ones.

have you checked out the possibilities of pw(un)conv ??

>From its manpage:
----------$ man pwconv ----------
PWCONV(8)
PWCONV(8)

NAME
       pwconv, pwunconv, grpconv, grpunconv - convert to and from shadow
pass-
       words and groups.
[...]
DESCRIPTION
       These four programs all operate on the normal and shadow  password
and
       group files: /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, and /etc/gshadow.
[...]
SEE ALSO
       login.defs(5), pwck(8), grpck(8), shadowconfig(8)

PWCONV(8)

I never used it, but crossed over it because I've also some troubles with
MD5 passwds (improving the pam_mysql module...)

 |jerry.bonner@cpinternet.com

just a little guess and I hope that may be what you're looking for...

sincerly,
_________
Florian Verdet
GnuPG: fvg.zapto.org/informatica/gpg.php