Re: Ldap

Are you running Tripwire as well.  On every RH 8.0 box I have that is
running LDAP tripwire is failing.  Turn off LDAP (via the nsswitch.conf
file) and it works fine.

Concerning the can't log in when LDAP is not available or the machine is
off the network ... adding the following line fixed the problem for me:

/etc/pam.d/system-auth

    account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
==> account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_localuser.so debug
    account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore \
     service_err=ignore system_err=ignore] /lib/security/pam_ldap.so