Re: PAM and SSH

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, John Oliver wrote:

> > Check the your /var/log/messages file for any ssh entries. These will tell
> > you what is causing the problem.
>
> There *are* no entries for the login attempt in /var/log/messages or
> /var/log/secure  If there were, I would have posted them.

That usually indicates that no call is being made to pam or sshd at all.
Is the client actually getting a connection to sshd - perhaps you have not
enabled sshd in /etc/hosts.allow?

Does ssh work if you run it without pam_winbind?

> > Do post the entries if you cannot work it out yourself from what they say
> > - but be sensible and don't post hundreds of lines of logs where only a
> > few are unique.
>
> Puh-leeeease... :-)  I may be an idiot about *some* things, but that
> ain't one of 'em... :-)

Sorry, but it sometimes seems that 90% of the time when I ask for log
entries I get 100K of repeating text back.

> No, I haven't.  Here's the /etc/pam.d/sshd:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

I think you want to reverse the order you are listing the account entries
in. As it's listed here it wont work.

> One weird thing... after I got winbind authentication working (for
> telnet and ftp, that is), I kept monkeying and poking and prodding,
> trying to get SSH working.  On two machines out of 13 or so, it just
> suddenly started working.  All of the config files I could find were
> identical, though.  I've never touched the SSH config files, only the
> PAM config.  And the files are literally identical... diff returns
> nothing.

Could it be that ssh was restarted on those boxes? Please test this before
saying yes or no as I've bitten myself that way before.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		Get the T-Shirt Now