Re: newbie question

Bill --

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file and make sure that the lines for passwd
and groups have "ldap" in addition to files and whatever else may  be
there (nis, nisplus, etc).  Then try the getent passwd and it should work
properly.

Also, you might want to also read up on the pam module pam_mkhomedir.so.
Automatically creates a user's home directory upon login if it does not
already exist.  It's included with standard Linux-PAM.

chris

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:29:14 -0800
PAM Shared IMAP Folder <post+pam@macallister.grass-valley.ca.us> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get pam_ldap and nss_ldap working on my Redhat 7.1
system.
> From what I can tell I have done what is required, but obviously I am
> unclear on what that is since it only sort of works.  I would apreciate
any
> suggestions.
>
> Here is what I have done so far:
>
>   * Set up group and user entries in OpenLDAP
>   * Run authconfig.  This looks to be a Redhat utility that set entries
>     in /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
>   * I also manually made entries in /etc/pam.d/ftp and /etc/pam.d/sshd.
>     These entries were made before I new about authconfig.
>
> What I see is that I can connect using ftp, but it doesn't really know
who
> I am.  I am left at the root.  Anonymous FTP is off and if I give a bad
> password the ftp login fails.  If I remove the manual entries from the
FTP

--
Chris McCulloh
MediaChron, Inc.

  e: chris@mediachron.com
  t: 203.229.2451
  f: 203.750.1002
  w: http://www.mediachron.com
  a: 509 Westport Ave., Norwalk, CT 06851, USA
pgp: http://www.mediachron.com/chris.pub