newbie question

Hello,

I am trying to get pam_ldap and nss_ldap working on my Redhat 7.1 system.
>From what I can tell I have done what is required, but obviously I am
unclear on what that is since it only sort of works.  I would apreciate any
suggestions.

Here is what I have done so far:

  * Set up group and user entries in OpenLDAP
  * Run authconfig.  This looks to be a Redhat utility that set entries
    in /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
  * I also manually made entries in /etc/pam.d/ftp and /etc/pam.d/sshd.
    These entries were made before I new about authconfig.

What I see is that I can connect using ftp, but it doesn't really know who
I am.  I am left at the root.  Anonymous FTP is off and if I give a bad
password the ftp login fails.  If I remove the manual entries from the FTP
file it doesn't work a all.  Also, when I watch the OpenLDAP log I never
see a query for any group or user information.  So, this looks like I am
missing the trick to turn on nss_ldap.  This really is confirmed when I do
a getent passwd and just see the password file.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bill