Pam won't let anyone login

Hello,

I'm trying to put together a boot/root disk pair, and have run into
some trouble with PAM.  The instructions in the Bootdisk-HOWTO didn't
work at all, and I've been unable to resolve the problem by reading
the PAM docs, although I got a little farthur.

The programs I'm using on the disk come from my Redhat 7.1 system.  I
can give a complete listing of my root disk if necessary (I'll even
upload it somewhere if anyone needs to see the whole thang :).  In the
meantime perhaps my pam.d dir and error message will suffice:

My /etc/pam.d directory contains but one file -- login
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so shadow
session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so

I've got the /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow files (copied
from my RH box).  I've got all of the libraries mentioned in the file
above plus:

ld-linux.so.2*  libc.so.6@        libnsl.so.1@       libtermcap.so.2*
libc-2.2.2.so*  libdl.so.2*       libpam_misc.so.0*  security/
libcrypt.so.1*  libnsl-2.2.2.so*  libpam.so.0*

I've also included /sbin/unix_chkpwd.

Here's the message I get when I try to login:

login: root
Password:
login(pam_unix)[40]: check pass; user unknown
login(pam_unix)[40]: authentication failure; logname=LOGIN uid=0 euid=0 tty=tty1 ruser= rhost=
login[41]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR root, Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info
Login incorrect

login:

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks,