PAM on linux 7.2 stop working

I will appreciate your help.
I have linux 7.2 running good, then all sudden the PAM quite working.
It will not authenticate any other program ie ftp,pop mail,ssh,,,

With pop mail I get this error message, though password is correct.
"ERR [AUTH] PAM authentication failed for user alfred"; Authentication
failure(7)."

Will I loss anything my installing a newer one , or how do a resolve
this problem.

Thanks in advance.