NIS client not authenticating under RH 7.2

Has anyone successfully set up a RH 7.2 box
as a NIS client?

I have enabled NIS as a client, and I can do ypwhich
and ypcat and ypmatch.  All server and accounts details
are returned okay.

The problem is that all log in attempts failed with
authentication errors - using telnet, ssh, and at the console.

These accounts work okay on systems running RH 7.1.

I compared the system-auth under /etc/pam.d between
RH 7.2 and 7.1, but they are a bit different now.  I tried
using the version from 7.1, but no luck.  Enabling the
debug mode in ypbind does not tell much neither.

Is this a bug on NIS under RH 7.2?

By the way, the NIS server is an Alpha running Tru64 Unix V5.1.
So only NIS and not NIS+ is used.  Nsswitch.conf has also been
updated using nis and not nisplus.

Regards,
Peter Chiu
Tel:  +44-(0)1235-446699