Re: [mituc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: pam limits drops privileges]

Hi Nalin,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 09:50:46AM +0200, Olaf Kirch wrote:
> > Sounds strange to me... but I'm forwarding it here in case you
> > haven't seen it yet.

> Looking at it, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.  Most
> modules which perform user or group lookups use the non-threaded
> functions (getpwnam(), getgrnam(), etc.), which have to be screwing
> with applications one way or another.

> I'd suggest reworking most of them to use getpwnam_r and friends,
> which appear to be standardized at least in SUSv2.

> Comments?  I can start throwing together a jumbo patch for the current
> tree at Sourceforge that does this.

I would certainly like to see PAM and PAM modules make better use of reentrant
functions.

Rather than a single jumbo patch, perhaps it would help to first add autoconf
support and a sample usage of getpwnam_r()?  After that, adding proper
reentrant support to all of the modules should be fairly parallelizable.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer