Re: New here

Hi Bob,

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Bob Niederman wrote:

> I'm not any kind of PAM hacker, but I've started butchering form my own
> purposes and have some questions.

> First, my target systems are Redhet 6.0 and 6.2.  The latest PAM source I
> found for these at redhat was 0.72.  I've made some changes for grins and
> successfully 'make && make install', so that 's good.

> Is this (0.72) too old to ask questions about?

> If so, does redhat customize PAM or can I download the latest and greatest
> from kernel.org and make && make install and expect it to work?

0.72 isn't too old to ask questions about, although you may find the answer to
many questions is "that bug has been fixed; please download 0.75". :)

RedHat does customize PAM somewhat heavily; a number of the PAM modules they
ship are not integrated into the upstream sources.  If you need these modules,
you'll need to stick with RedHat's sources, or use the RedHat-provided binary
modules together with the kernel.org PAM sources.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer