Q: "Relay" an authentication request?

I have a web server, Box A, which does not have many (shell) users.  I
have successfully implemented password-authentication to access various
areas of the web site - Apache using mod_auth_pam, with a few tweaks to
allow it to read the shadow password file.  Obviously, this will only
authenticate users of Box A.

I have another server, Box B, which everyone uses.  Is it possible to
"relay" the PAM request from Box A to Box B, so that when faced with a
password authentication request for a web page on Box A, the user is
sucessfully logged in if they correctly enter their Box B username and
password?

Apologies if this is in any way a FAQ, but I have not been able to find
anything that discusses this, at least not in as many words ...

Both servers run Linux, kernel 2.2.x ...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart