Re: pam module to enforce password requirements, etc.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 09:07:11AM -0500, Rick Goyette wrote:
> Is there a pam module available that can enforce password
> requirements when a user changes their password?  That is to say,
> require that a new password contain special characters and digits, as
> well as upper and lower case letters?

try reading the pam docs, its called pam_cracklib.  it has a tendency
to be overzealous if you don't tweak it just right though (even even
then too...)

> Here is another scenario:
>
> I want to be able to lock out a user for fifteen minutes if that user
> has made six consecutive unsuccessful attempts to login.  Can I do
> this using pam?

with pam_tally you should be able to do something like that, not sure
about reenabling after a few minutes that might need some hackish
tricks.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/