Re: Q: "Relay" an authentication request?

Dave Ewart wrote:

> I have a web server, Box A, which does not have many (shell) users.  I
> have successfully implemented password-authentication to access various
> areas of the web site - Apache using mod_auth_pam, with a few tweaks to
> allow it to read the shadow password file.  Obviously, this will only
> authenticate users of Box A.
>
> I have another server, Box B, which everyone uses.  Is it possible to
> "relay" the PAM request from Box A to Box B, so that when faced with a
> password authentication request for a web page on Box A, the user is
> sucessfully logged in if they correctly enter their Box B username and
> password?

The point here is that you have to use some kind of distribuited solution
to do that.
The only way, i can see right now for that is having a LDAP server on BoxB
and do a network redirect( using ipchains ) for all requests on the LDAP
port on BoxA to BoxB LDAP port.

Of course you dont have to use a LDAP server, you can use a SMB server ou
something like that to the authetication.

I hope i have helped.

Regards,
Miguel Carvalho