Re: PAM and the pwd.h interface

Chris Jaeger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         Well, after having written my nice NSS library, I started
> trying it out with some applications. All was going wonderfully
> until I noticed that pam_unix uses getpwnam() internally, which
> has the nasty side effect of overwriting the static buffer that
> was returned by that function previously. So my orignal username
> was blown away again. Is there some particular reason that pam_unix
> uses getpwnam over the reentrant version, getpwnam_r()? There seems
> to be some uncertainty re: getpwent_r(), but the #ifdefs would
> indicate that getpwnam_r is standardized. Would a patch
> substituting getpwnam_r for getpwnam be accepted?

I think I'd like to see an autoconf test for this, and something to
ensure that any module that uses it can fall back to the non _r function
if its not available at compile time.

I'd also draw your attention to this:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam_appl-4.html#ss4.1

Cheers