Re: PAM and the pwd.h interface

Hi all,

	Well, after having written my nice NSS library, I started
trying it out with some applications. All was going wonderfully
until I noticed that pam_unix uses getpwnam() internally, which
has the nasty side effect of overwriting the static buffer that
was returned by that function previously. So my orignal username
was blown away again. Is there some particular reason that pam_unix
uses getpwnam over the reentrant version, getpwnam_r()? There seems
to be some uncertainty re: getpwent_r(), but the #ifdefs would
indicate that getpwnam_r is standardized. Would a patch
substituting getpwnam_r for getpwnam be accepted?

Thanks,
Chris