Re: FYI & question: Linux-PAM modules on Solaris

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> Steve Langasek wrote:
> []
> > There are really only four commands we need for any given platform:
> >   * compile a .c file into a PIC object suitable for further linking
> >   * link a shared library
> >   * link a DSO (pam module)
> >   * link a static library

> What's the difference between "shared library" (2nd) and "DSO (pam
> module)" (3rd) cases?  This is the same IMHO, so only 3 commands
> needed, and having in mind that last one (static lib) isn't of a
> big interest, only 2 finally (btw, last one is already known --
> this is more-or-less-standard `ar').

I'm making the (perhaps artificial) distinction here between a shared library
which is suitable for linking into an executable and being loaded by the
system's runtime linker, and a DSO which is opened by libpam using dlopen() or
equivalent.  I leave open the possibility that the two types of shared objects
may require mutually-exclusive options when linking on some platforms.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer