FYI & question: Linux-PAM modules on Solaris

Hello,
I'm working on building and testing the Linux-PAM 0.75 modules under
Solaris 7/SPARC
32-bit.  I'm using gcc 2.95.2 and Sun's bundled "ld" for linking.

So the "FYI" is, I've gotten the following to build under Solaris; not all
are tested yet however:

pam_deny*		pam_motd		pam_time
pam_env*		pam_nologin*		pam_warn
pam_ftp			pam_permit		pam_wheel
pam_group		pam_rootok
pam_issue		pam_securetty
pam_lastlog		pam_shells
pam_listfile*		pam_stress
pam_mkhomedir		pam_tally

The ones with stars ("*") have been tested, at least briefly, by me and
seem to work fine.

So the question I have is, I had to change the values of "LD_D" and "LD_L"
in the generated Make.Rules file in order to make the modules link properly
with Sun's "ld".
Since it appears these variables come from configure.in, I then updated
configure.in, and created a diff of the original configure.in and mine.  I
figured this would cause the new values to be put in the Make.Rules during
the configuration process.  However, I couldn't make "configure" complete
properly after patching configure.in.  The diff I made from the modified
configure.in vs. original configure.in is simply:

272,273c272,273
<       LD_D="ld -G -z redlocsym"
<       LD_L="ld -G -z redlocsym"
---
>       LD_D="gcc -shared -Xlinker -x"
>       LD_L="$LD -x -shared"

So the real question is, I want to suggest this change to the team.
However, since this minor change seems to screw up "configure" somehow,
what can I do?  I guess I was hoping Andrew or someone else knows autoconf
and would know exactly how to make this right, if I were to submit a bug on
SourceForge.  Making this minor change seems to make a big difference on
Solaris systems, and from looking at the context of the change in
configure.in, shouldn't affect Linux systems.

thanks,
Jonathan
jonathan@sprintmail.com