PAM stopped working after glibc upgrade.

Hi,

First I have to admit that I only noticed that I'm using something like
PAM when it stopped working and didn't let me in. With a little deep
knowledge about Linux I probably should not be doing things like glibc
upgrade, but anyway..

Current problem is that after I had upgraded my glibc 2.2 to 2.2.3
everything seemed to work quite OK until I rebooted the system. It
didn't let me in anymore. Even single user root mode asks for root
password and doesn't know who I am. Passwd, su and so on doesn't work.
This is what I get when I try to log in:

May 23 20:56:51 sardiini login[727]: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM /dev/tty1
FOR UNKNOWN, User not known to the underlying authentication module

The system is based on SuSe 7.1, and I'm running it with 2.4.0-4GB
kernel. (About to upgrade that as well.)

I managed to get things working again after copying old /lib and
/usr/lib files back in place (/lib was actually enough).

Now I wonder if I have forgotten to do something with the glibc
installation(options etc?) or do I need to compile new PAM as well? I
might do that anyway, as my current version is 0.72.

One more thing, the new glibc is compiled for i686-linux and most of the
other stuff is for i486. If this may cause problems (I'm about to
recompile gcc and some other stuff as well for i686) I can always
re-make it for i486.

Any ideas how to make things work with the new glibc are much
appreciated.

Regards,

--
PeTe