Re: pam_listfile.so on Solaris 2.6

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Andrew Miles wrote:

> I'm just starting to explore the features of PAM and was reading an
> article on using pam_listfile.so to limit certain users to certain
> services, which is exactly what I need.
>
> However, we've got a new install of Solaris 2.6 and it doesn't have
> that module.  [...]
>
> So the question is, where can I get that module, and can I just add
> that in or do I need to install a different (newer) version of PAM?

At:
   http://pam.sourceforge.net/
is an entire PAM system written for Linux, containing many modules.

On Solaris, it is just about possible to take some of these modules and
install them on Solaris 2.6 (and higher).  I've done it with one and
dabbled with a few others.

BUT... a note of caution: the modules are not as portable as they might
be, nor is the autoconf description that manages them.  There has been
some work on addressing this portability, but it is by no means complete.
The product is called "Linux-PAM"; most folks agree that an "Open-PAM"
concept would be nice.  But as yet, "Open" is not equal to "Linux".

Your assistance in applying encouragement to the maintainers to
incorporate the portability changes would be welcome.  (There is a backlog
of changes which don't yet seem to have risen up the importance pile.)