pam_cracklib segfaults during passwd

Hi everyone,

I've got a strange problem.  When I run passwd with the following pam
config it segfualts for certain passwords.  From what I can tell, it's
dying during the dictionary check.

Can anyone tell me how I could troubleshoot this? Has anyone else seen
this?

BTW -
cracklib,2.7
Linux-PAM-0.74
glibc 2.2
gcc 2.95.2
kernel 2.4.1

Below is a log, with comments in [brackets].

root:/etc/pam.d#
root:/etc/pam.d#
root:/etc/pam.d#
root:/etc/pam.d#
root:/etc/pam.d# cat passwd
#%PAM-1.0
#[For version 1.0 syntax, the above header is optional]
#
# The PAM configuration file for the `passwd' service
#
password        required        /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so type=user
retry=3
password        required        /lib/security/pam_unix.so use_authtok md5
shadow
root:/etc/pam.d#
root:/etc/pam.d# passwd root
New user password:  [I used potat0 (with a 0 at the end, not an o)]
Segmentation fault
root:/etc/pam.d#
root:/etc/pam.d# passwd jdelisle
New user password: [used zdc]
BAD PASSWORD: it is too short
Retype new user password: [used sdfxcv]
Sorry, passwords do not match
New user password: [used abcdefg]
BAD PASSWORD: it is too simplistic/systematic
Retype new user password: [used b3kl21m]
Sorry, passwords do not match
New user password: [used words, helloworld]
Segmentation fault
root:/etc/pam.d#
root:/etc/pam.d#

John Delisle