USER_IS_ALWAYS_RIGHT option?

Hello, pam-list...

Could someone detail how to tell PAM/passwd to obey the wishes
of the user in setting their new password, no matter how many rules,
regulations, or religions they're violating?

I've got a number of professionals here - old timers, even - who are
astounded
that the passwd program is refusing to allow them to change from one
well-chosen
password to another well-chosen password simply because the two are "too
similiar".

I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend that all of the algorithms
assessing
whether passwords are too short, long, similar, or whatever be used to
INFORM the
user that what they're doing might not be a good idea, but that they
should never,
ever, ever arbitrarily decide - for ALL users ever changing their
passwords - to
refuse to obey those users wishes.

Consider:  "That's a really bad idea - do you insist? [y/n]"

If only we could apply this "protect the user from themselves" mentality

to the "rm" program...

Best,
-Paul B. Reiber, Jr.