Re: Error in service module

Hello,

> 	I'm in trouble with a pam module...
> where can I look for the explanation of this message:

> Dec 19 17:07:21 lgn login[5893]: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM
> localhost.localdomain FOR (null), Error in service module

'Error in service module' indicates a fatal error in the PAM environment,
typically one that can't be explained or recovered from.  E.g., PAM returns
this if no conversation function is available; individual modules may return
this error if the application fails to provide a username, if the current user
can't be identified, etc.

What does your PAM config file look like? (/etc/pam.d/login, or /etc/pam.conf)
This may provide further clues as to the nature of the problem.  Also, what
OS/distribution are you running?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer