Re: Porting pam to Solaris, HP-UX, others

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 02:45:10PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> NT already has its own authentication APIs which are used by all Microsoft
> products (fileserving, logons, IIS, etc), and which Microsoft encourages
> others to use as well.  Out of curiousity, how do you feel that PAM on NT
> would be useful to you?

More hack value than real value.  It is not really worth considering
seriously as far as I am concerned.

> GNU standards notwithstanding, I'm not personally interested in putting forth
> the coding effort to make PAM work on such a bizarre platform as NT.  I do
> agree that it'd be good to eliminate this symlinkage as possible, because it
> simplifies the build process on /Unix/.

There could be other cases where it would fail.  For example, if I was for
some reason using a vfat filesystem on my Linux box to do the build.  Then
again, anyone that uses vfat for that purpose probably is not building pam.
I really don't have any interest in making the build process work in every
conceivable build environment.  I do however, have interest in seeing the
build process work on reasonable configurations of OS's that it is likely
to benefit.

Mike