Re: Porting pam to Solaris, HP-UX, others

A good point is brought up at http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.html#SEC50

   It is a good idea to avoid creating symbolic links in makefiles, since a
   few systems don't support them.

But then again, if it doesn't support symbolic links, PAM is likely not
going to get used on it.  But wouldn't it be nice if NT would use PAM...

I have seen many packages that include their own scripts that use very
basic functionality to mimic the more advanced functionality of tools that
are available in some OSes.  For example, install.sh usually mimics the
behavior of BSD's install, and mkdirheir commonly is able to help those
systems that are missing "mkdir -p".

As for the particular case here, why do we want to do an
"ln -sf security ."?  That looks like a bandaid for something that moved in
a previous release.

Mike