Re: Porting pam to Solaris, HP-UX, others

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> David Lee wrote:
> > Hence my suggestion of "-f", which seems widely available, and doesn't
> > adversely affect the use to which we are putting it (although it may be
> > possible to dream up pathological cases if someone has gone in behind the
> > back of "make" with malice aforethought).

> But your patch says:

> !       if [ ! -r include/security ]; then ln -sf .

> "-r or -f" Which is it?

-L?:)

>From test(1) on Linux (sh-utils-1.16):

-e file
	True if file exists
-f file
	True if file exists and is a regular file.
-L file
	True if file exists and is a symbolic link.

-r file
	True if file exists and is readable.

I don't know how portable -L is, but -f is certain to not give the correct
behavior on any OS that follows the above semantics.

So -- if we have the option, it seems to me that -L is what we want.  (If
someone's put something there that's not a symlink, there's no reason not to
stomp on it, as it will probably break the build anyway.)  If neither -L nor
-e is portable, the only option left is -r, I guess..

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer