Re: Porting pam to Solaris, HP-UX, others

Michael,

> A good point is brought up at http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.html#SEC50

>    It is a good idea to avoid creating symbolic links in makefiles, since a
>    few systems don't support them.

> But then again, if it doesn't support symbolic links, PAM is likely not
> going to get used on it.  But wouldn't it be nice if NT would use PAM...

NT already has its own authentication APIs which are used by all Microsoft
products (fileserving, logons, IIS, etc), and which Microsoft encourages
others to use as well.  Out of curiousity, how do you feel that PAM on NT
would be useful to you?

GNU standards notwithstanding, I'm not personally interested in putting forth
the coding effort to make PAM work on such a bizarre platform as NT.  I do
agree that it'd be good to eliminate this symlinkage as possible, because it
simplifies the build process on /Unix/.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer